Using essential oils, or aromatherapy, has helped relieve stress, insomnia, anxiety, mental exhaustion - but also colds and skin problems.
Essential oils are also ideal for home use, as long as the instructions for use are carefully followed, taking into account any restrictions on use (for example, young children and pregnant women, and people with a serious illness or medication are special groups for whom there are restrictions on the use of essential oils). Professionally trained aromatherapists are trained to provide more in-depth treatment with essential oils.
Essential oils can be used in a fragrance lamp, diffuser, massage, steam shower or on the skin diluted in a base oil.
A diffuser is a better alternative to a fragrance lamp for scenting essential oils because the oil does not heat up as much in the diffuser, so all the beneficial properties of the precious oils are preserved.
Although essential oils are not usually applied directly to the skin as such, some oils (such as tea tree and lavender) can be used in small quantities directly on the skin to treat specific skin problems, such as foot fungus.
THE FLORAME ESSENTIAL OILS ARE WORLD CLASS
The Florame range of essential oils, famous for their high-quality are sold at Ruohonjuuri. What makes this range unique from an aromatherapist's point of view?
- For a professional aromatherapist it's very important to use genuine, 100% pure and reliable essential oils. This is important for a good therapeutic result. I myself have also been trained as an aromatherapist in France, where the chemistry of the oils is very important, as they are also sold in pharmacies for health purposes. The ethics and responsibilities of a trained aromatherapist require the use of chemo-typed or analyzed essential oils and preferably organic or wild grown. Certified organic essential oils, like all Florame oils, guarantee that no fertilizer or pesticide residues remain in the oil during extraction. Essential oils enter the bloodstream through the skin and the respiratory tract, for example by diffusion. Florame's essential oils are used by many professional aromatherapists because the purity, authenticity and certification guarantee that the oils are always 100% pure, genuine oils to avoid various problems, since the client's health is at stake, says aromatherapist Liisa Seppälä.
The most popular oils among Ruohonjuuri's customers are: ravintsara, lemongrass, geranium, clove and black spruce. From an aromatherapist's point of view, what are the most important uses and effects of these oils in supporting well-being?
- Ravintsara oil (Camphor tree, Cinnamomum Camphora) is an absolute personal favourite of mine. I am crazy in love with its eucalyptus scent and versatility. Camphor tree has many striking similarities with eucalyptus (Eucalyptus radiata). It's particularly useful for treating respiratory infections such as colds and coughs. Camphor oil also fights viral infections and is commonly used to prevent and relieve the common cold - but also herpes and warts.
- The energizing effects of this essential oil can help with physical fatigue, recovery and anxiety. Gentle camphor oil can also provide relief from stress, sleep deprivation and restlessness. It also effectively purifies room air when used in a diffuser.
- It's worth mentioning that ravintsara is not suitable for babies, young children, asthmatics or for the treatment of severe respiratory conditions.
Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) is a fresh and pleasantly scented oil that almost everyone likes.
- Lemongrass oil has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It improves blood circulation and can be used to treat conditions such as obesity, heavy legs and varicose veins.
- Lemongrass essential oil can help with skin problems such as acne and insect bites. Oily skin, dandruff, athlete's foot and cellulite also benefit from the use of lemongrass essential oil.
- Lemongrass oil can also be used to relieve indigestion and bloating by rubbing it into the abdominal area mixed with a mild base oil (such as almond or jojoba oil).
A tip for cellulite treatment:
Cellulite: 2-8 drops of the oil are rubbed well into the areas affected by cellulite (thighs, hips, buttocks) for 2-3 weeks in the morning and evening.
Great for freshening up the air in the room with the help of a diffuser.
Contraindication: glaucoma; may irritate the skin.